The Collection of Folklore Records, which is the largest folklore archive in Belarus, was founded in 1957 when the Institute of Art, Ethnography, and Folklore — named after K. Krapiva — was established at the Belarusian Academy of Sciences. The Collection belongs to the Department of Folklore and Culture of the Slavic peoples. The Collection of Folklore Records contains materials from Institute staff field expeditions (1960–2016), manuscripts which were sent to the ‘Best Folklore Collector’ contest, materials from the archives of Belarusian universities, and private archives donated by writers, cultural figures, researchers, etc. In 2001 the Collection obtained heritage status for its contribution to National Sciences.
The Collection of Folklore Records covers all aspects of folklore, and includes manuscripts, photographs, musical note transcripts, and audio and video recordings. Most of the items are of Belarusian folklore, but there are also collections of Russian, Polish, Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Jewish, and Gypsy folklore. It contains more than thirty thousand rare sound recordings of ethnic folklore, which were made during field expeditions in Belarus and neighbouring countries from the early 20th century to the beginning of the 21st century. The Department of Folklore and Culture of the Slavic peoples is currently in the process of digitising the materials of the Collection and making the catalogue database available online.
Belarus, Minsk, Surhanava St., 1, Bldg. 2, 220072
The Center for the Belarusian Culture, Language and Literature Research of the NASB
phone: +375 17 284-23-83;